September is one of those funny little in-between months.
The calendar is whispering fall, the stores are already covered in pumpkins, and we're dreaming about cozy sweaters and soup.
Meanwhile, here in Texas, it's still hot enough outside to make you question every fall decision you've made.
So just like I'm transitioning my wardrobe in September, I'm transitioning my kitchen too.
I'm not quite ready for heavy comfort food every night, but I am ready for warmer flavors, seasonal produce, cozy breakfasts, and meals that make home feel a little more like fall.
And the best part? Eating well doesn't have to mean complicated recipes or spending Sunday afternoon meal-prepping 27 containers.
Here are seven simple ways I'm transitioning my table from summer into fall.
1. Start With September Produce
One of the easiest ways to change your meals with the seasons is simply to change what's going into your grocery cart.
September is a beautiful bridge between summer and fall produce.
Depending on what's available where you live, start looking for foods such as:
🍎 Apples
🍐 Pears
🍇 Grapes
🥦 Broccoli
🥬 Leafy greens
🥕 Carrots
🍠 Sweet potatoes
🎃 Winter squash
🫑 Bell peppers
🌽 Corn
You don't have to completely change the way you eat.
Add roasted sweet potatoes to a salad. Slice apples into your morning oatmeal. Roast broccoli alongside dinner. Add seasonal vegetables to a sheet-pan meal.
Small changes can make your meals feel completely different.
2. Give Your Summer Salads a Fall Makeover
I'm not giving up salads just because September arrived.
I'm changing what's in them.
Instead of a very light summer salad, try building something with a little more substance.
Start with leafy greens and add roasted sweet potato or butternut squash, apple slices, dried cranberries, chickpeas, pumpkin seeds, feta or goat cheese.
Then finish it with a simple balsamic vinaigrette.
Now you've got the freshness of summer with those cozy flavors we're beginning to crave.
Taylor-Made Tip: Add one warm ingredient to your salad. Roasted vegetables, warm grains, or freshly cooked chickpeas can instantly make a salad feel more satisfying.
3. Bring Back the Cozy Breakfast
This is the time of year when I start wanting something a little cozier with my morning coffee.
Overnight oats are wonderful during summer, but September makes me want a warm bowl of oatmeal topped with cinnamon, apples, berries, or banana.
You could also try:
Whole-grain toast with avocado and tomato.
Greek yogurt with fruit, seeds, and a little cinnamon.
A warm breakfast bowl with sweet potato, spinach, avocado, and black beans.
Or my personal favorite strategy—keep breakfast simple enough that you'll actually make it.
Healthy eating doesn't have to become a morning project.
4. Let Soup Slowly Come Back
Notice I said slowly.
I'm not suggesting we stand over a steaming bowl of soup when it's 95 degrees outside.
But as evenings eventually begin cooling down, September is a wonderful time to bring lighter soups back into rotation.
Think lentil soup, vegetable soup, tomato basil, minestrone, white bean and kale, or a simple vegetable chili.
Make a pot and freeze individual portions.
Then on that first unexpectedly cool evening, dinner is already waiting.
5. Roast Something
If there's one cooking method that immediately makes food feel like fall, it's roasting.
Broccoli.
Brussels sprouts.
Carrots.
Cauliflower.
Sweet potatoes.
Squash.
Onions.
Bell peppers.
Chickpeas.
Toss your vegetables with a little olive oil and your favorite herbs and seasonings, roast them until they're beautifully caramelized, and suddenly the vegetables you thought were boring become the best thing on the plate.
And here's another little trick:
Make extra.
Tomorrow's roasted vegetables can become a salad, grain bowl, wrap, pasta dish, or side.
That's not meal prepping.
That's cooking smarter.
6. Add Fall Flavor Without Adding Tons of Sugar
September is when pumpkin spice starts showing up everywhere.
And listen—I enjoy a seasonal treat just like everybody else.
But fall flavor doesn't have to mean turning everything we eat into dessert.
Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, vanilla, maple, rosemary, sage, thyme, smoked paprika, and garlic can all bring those warmer seasonal flavors into our kitchens.
Sprinkle cinnamon over oatmeal.
Add rosemary to roasted vegetables.
Use smoked paprika on chickpeas.
Add ginger to a smoothie.
Enjoy the pumpkin-spice latte when you actually want one.
We're looking for balance, not food rules.
7. Create a September Snack Board
This might be one of my favorite ideas for an easy Friday night at home.
Instead of making a full dinner, create a beautiful little September grazing board.
Try adding:
Apple slices
Grapes
Cheese
Whole-grain crackers
Hummus
Olives
Fresh vegetables
Dried fruit
Dark chocolate
A favorite dip
Pour something delicious to drink, turn on some music, and suddenly a simple snack plate feels like an occasion.
Because food isn't only about nutrition.
It's also about pleasure, connection, and creating moments we enjoy.
Eating Well After 50 Doesn't Have to Be Complicated
One thing I'm becoming more intentional about in this season of life is how I think about food.
I don't want every meal to come with guilt.
I don't want to label myself “good” because I ate a salad or “bad” because I ordered dessert.
And I certainly don't want healthy eating to feel like punishment.
I want food that nourishes me.
Food that tastes good.
Food that supports the life I want to live.
And sometimes food that simply makes me happy.
Those things can exist on the same plate.
My Simple September Food Formula
When you're wondering what to eat this month, keep it simple:
Vegetables + plant-based protein + whole grain or satisfying carbohydrate + healthy fat + lots of flavor.
That might look like a roasted vegetable and chickpea bowl one night and veggie tacos the next.
It doesn't have to be perfect.
It just needs to work for your life.
Welcome to the September Table
September doesn't require us to completely change what we're eating.
It's simply an invitation to transition.
Add the apples.
Roast the vegetables.
Pull out the cinnamon.
Make the soup when the temperature finally cooperates.
And yes, enjoy something pumpkin spice if that's your thing.
We're entering a new season, and our kitchens get to come along with us.
Because eating well after 50 isn't about restriction.
It's about creating a way of eating that helps us feel nourished, energized, satisfied, and ready to enjoy our lives.
The Taylor Made September Food Checklist
☐ Add two seasonal vegetables to your grocery list
☐ Make one fall-inspired salad
☐ Try a cozy breakfast
☐ Roast a pan of vegetables
☐ Make one plant-forward soup
☐ Add cinnamon or warming spices to something
☐ Create a September snack board
☐ Try one new recipe
☐ Drink your water
☐ Enjoy a favorite fall treat—without the guilt
What's the first fall food you're looking forward to this year?

No comments:
Post a Comment